Thursday, December 28, 2006

Potato Chips Are Bad for Dogs: A Cautionary Tale

This is a true story. The names haven't even been changed. I've done my best to get the facts straight. If it saves just one other dog's life, it will be worth it. Most all of us know chocolate is bad for dogs, but potato chips........?

In the wee hours of the morning, last year, my friend Suzy couldn't sleep, so got up to go downstairs to make herself a cup of tea. On the way down the stairs, she heard a strange sound. It was a rhythmic crinkling, occurring at regular intervals. It didn't sound like her husband snoring, so she crept out to the living room to investigate. In the middle of the floor, she saw her beloved Corgi, Georgia, her head deep inside a now empty bag of potato chips, unconscious. Georgia has been known to enjoy food and in this case, she was going for the last delicious crumb in the bag when the carbon dioxide levels got so high, she passed out. Suzy pulled the bag from Georgia's head and in a few moments she sat up, shook her head and wandered off towards the kitchen, apparently ok.

So the moral of the story is: if your dog is addicted to chips, seek professional help, and don't leave bags of chips lying around. Remember, chip bags can kill your dog!

7 comments:

Suzy said...

Gosh that same thing happened to me. Oh, it IS me in the story. Tee hee. Potato chip bags are especially dangerous for dogs with short legs. A lab or a standard poodle, for example, could have pawed the bag off, but Georgia's short little legs couldn't reach. And then her big ears functioned like plaster anchors; they sprung open inside the bag to hold it in place. A tragedy was narrowly averted.

poodledoc said...

Yes, it was a brush with death. My poodle would have eaten the bag. The other day he ate the covering of a tennis ball, he's eaten a nylong and a dog booty. (not all at once) but he cough's them up in the wee hours of the morning, next to my bed.

Ed said...

Hey, the same thing happened to me! Oh, it was me, or my dog. Yes, I take full responsibility. I left the potato chip bag on the floor when the phone rang. Much later, when I got off the phone, I had forgotten all about it. Thank the gods for light-sleeping spouses. Moral: if you own a corgi (or swedish vallhund, dachsund, etc) and if you must eat potato (or potatoe, for all you republicans out there) chips, cut the edge of the bag so it will tear easily.

smartass said...

This is not the reason, dogs dont die out of chips, but when they didn't have enything left to breath with when their head was in the bag.

smartass said...

This is not the reason, dogs dont die out of chips, but when they didn't have enything left to breath with when their head was in the bag.

slim said...

Is it just potato chip bags?

slim said...

Is it just potato chip bags?