Friday, December 28, 2007

The Face of God? Exodus 33:17-23

This bible passage speaks to me. It’s forcing me to realize that it’s hard if not impossible to see God’s plan in the present, when it’s directly in front of me. After God moves away, however, and I travel on my journey, I can look back and better see God’s plan in my life (and in the world as a whole). This informs and strengthens my faith in God, the Creator’s plans. Of course, other times, I look back and wonder what the heck God’s plan actually was. Or is. For me or for the world. So I’m not saying I understand what I see very often. Every once in a while, I think I do have a smidgen of understanding. But, better to look and not know than to not look at all.


And the Lord said to Moses “I will do the very thing you have asked, because I am pleased with you and I know you by name”

Then Moses said, “Now show me your glory”

And the Lord said, “I will cause all my goodness to pass in front of you, and I will proclaim my name, the Lord, in your presence. I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion. But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for no one can see my face and live”

Then the Lord said, “There is a place near me where you may stand on a rock. When my glory passes by, I will put you in a cleft in the rock and cover you with my hand until I have passed by. Then, I will remove my hand and you will see my back, but my face must not be seen.”


At least…………that’s how it’s speaking to me now, having just read this passage and one possible interpretation (of this passage) in Children of God, by Mary Doria Russell. (The sequel to The Sparrow). So this is a passage I am planning to sit with for a time, since it seems to call me. Perhaps I will gain further insights. I’ll see how it goes.

No comments: