Friday, December 14, 2007

Math Homework Woes

After spending painful hours working with Poodledoc, Jr on his mountain of math homework, I emailed the teacher and told her I felt that this was just oo much homework. It was overwhelming for my son, for me and created those lovely family tensions that in retrospect, we try to call "growth moments" through gritted teeth. Anyway, she emailed me back promptly with some professional,useful and supportive information. She told me that many parents were asking for MORE math homework. WHAT? I wanted to scream. Who ARE these people? Do their kids get to do other things in life? Or is it just math, science and test scores, oh my. Poodledoc, Jr likes to do other things. This mountain of homework is causing him to want to do less not more and therefore learn less. There was a time when he enjoyed school much,much more. This has changed. (of course,it could have something to do with his being a teenager and all, but......)

Who are these parents that want more homework? There's a very real part of me that wants to say something un-Quakerly,but I'll refrain here in my blog (big sigh of relief). I just tell my poodle who thinks it's ridiculous, all this homework. But this from an animal that sniffs poop. Anyway, he's a good listener.

7 comments:

Ed said...

I agree that kids get Way too much homework. Get a copy of "The Homework Myth" by Alfie Kohn and loan it to PoddleDoc, Jr.'s teacher. Also check out his website. http://www.alfiekohn.org/index.html

Suzy is Alfie Kohn's biggest fan. Good thing he's married.

poodledoc said...

Thanks, Ed. My feeling is that it's more THE PARENTS that need to read Kohn's book. Along with psychiatric care. Do I sound bitter?

Ed said...

Maybe a little bitter, but I don't blame you. I think you're right about the parents, too. Many of Grace's teachers have said the same thing when we've told them we don't believe in homework. However, if the teacher is prepared with information regarding the negative effects of homework, they would be more able to counter those parents who think there should be more homework.

poodledoc said...

I have this feeling that Kohn's book is not required reading in Education Departments across America. Although, I could be wrong.....

Suzy said...

THE TEACHER weighs in. I have parents asking for homework ... for their KINDERGARTNERS! As a teacher, it's hard not to give in to it. I tell them, "Read to your child at least 20 minutes a day." But no, that's not good enough. They want pencilandpaperhonesttogodhomework. I think the idea that homework and school go together is in the collective mind of the American public, like love & Marriage, horse & carriage, and all of that. It is ubiquitous. It may take brave parents like you to say, "NOT FOR MY KID. We're opting out. Or set a time limit -- say, one hour total, for homework. What gets done gets done. Throw a fit if he is punished for not finishing. Make it an issue at PTO meetings. I am willing to bet there are a few more parents like you. And LOTS of kids who are lacking the at-home support, who simply fail at school.

poodledoc said...

Often, the teacher will refer to how she's adhering to "district standards". Are there district standards on homeowrk? I totally agree with what you've said. The PTO might be useful. I haven't been much involved with them. I am dubious they could or would do anything. But that may just be my ignorant self yapping......I'll check it out...thanks. Meanwhile, I'll keep in contact with the teachers.

Suzy said...

There are NO district standards when it comes to homework. The standards have to do with what must be accomplished in a school year. That should be done IN school.