Saturday, April 7, 2007

Blessings

6:30 pm
Foot elevated listening to Richard Thompson live on Austin City Limits. Foot is swollen but less painful, unless I accidentally put weight on it, which the doctors do no want me to do. Watched the Cubs beat the Brewers. They looked good. I predict, as I always do, that the Cubs will win the Series this year. But everyone's picking the Mets. So............my scenario is that this year the Cubs will beat out the Mets, thus getting revenge for the total humiliation that every Cub fan my age feels, when the Cubs blew a 10 game lead in August of 1969 to the "Miracle Mets", who went on to win the Series. I can't go down the Miracle Whip aisle at the store without PTSD symptoms shaking through my body. Seriously. Then there's Steve Bartman. In 2003, the Cubs were FIVE OUTS AWAY from going to the Series when he, for reasons known only to himself, interferred with a catchable foul ball. The Cubs went on to lose. He had to go into the Witness Protection Program. Got death threats. Now that's a bit scary and extreme, but I have to admit that whenever his name pops into my head, it challenges my Quaker beliefs about "there's that of God in everyone". Seriously. Well, sort of seriously. Actually, with several years of therapy, I've been able to feel compassion for the man.

But today I've been reflecting on the kindness of my friends. Calls to offer help. Calls to check in. Take me to dinner. Lots of people walking my poodle. He likes the attention, but keeps looking at me wondering why I'm sitting on my butt! Another friend took me to the grocery store today. Pushed the cart. I'm moving a bit slow. My boss (who is also a friend!) has been very supportive through this. I am grateful for all these friends, some of whom I've known for over 25 years. My Quaker Meeting has been great. I am blessed to have such people in my life.

Looking forward to seeing my son tomorrow. He's been gone for the last week on a trip with his mom to the Ozarks. Sounds like he had a great time. Thanks, friends!

No comments: