Saturday, April 28, 2007

History: Does it really repeat? Take this quiz and FIND OUT!

Who said the following after invading Iraq:

‘The people of England have been led in Iraq into a trap from which it will be hard to escape with dignity and honor. They have been tricked into it by a steady withholding of information. The Baghdad communiqués are belated, insincere, incomplete. Things have been far worse than we have been told, our administration more bloody and inefficient than the public knows…….We are today not far from disaster”

Was it:

Tony Blair?

George “W” Bush?

Lawrence of Arabia?

Winston Churchill?

Margaret Thatcher?


If you chose Lawrence of Arabia, you are absolutely correct!!! Ding! Ding! Ding!

He was referring to the British invasion/occupation of Iraq (then called Mesopotamia) in 1920. History repeats. I read this in Robert Fisk’s excellent book: “The Great War for Civilization—The Conquest of the Middle East". Fantastic information. I’m learning an incredible amount as I work my way through the 1,000 pages.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Dang -- you gave the answer! I was going to answer it in the comments and bask in the glow of being smarter than everyone else (except, of course, the teeny little fact that you already told me about this yesterday.) I will have to read this book when school gets out (a little light summer reading -- maybe I'll take it to the beach.)