Monday, October 8, 2007

I'm Buying the Cubs

Well, the Cubs are officially for sale. The rumor I've heard of for months is now a fact. I've heard several prices tossed about. You know, more money than I can imagine. More money than I could win in the Wisconsin Super Duper Lottery (if I even did lotteries.............which I don't). I know the people who have read my blog and my whinings about the Cubs are feeling a sense of horror. If I owned the Cubs I could blog FROM EVERY GAME! Aw, don't worry sports fans, I can't afford the billion dollar price tag, but I know some one who can: me and my friends.

How this came about was a couple of weeks ago my friend Ed Ether (a rabid Green Bay Packer football fan, sorry about the loss last night, by the way) was talking about how he liked that the Packers are owned by a group of people, like a trust, instead of one egomaniacal billionaire. So it came to me tonight, what if myself, Ed and several of our millionaire friends pooled our resources. Then the Cubs could be ours! We could sit in the bleachers! Enjoy the agony and the ecstasy! Eat Frosty Malts! For me, it's a dream come true. Ed, whaddya say?

4 comments:

Ed said...

That would be enough to make a Cubs fan out of me. Count me in. Let's see, first, we'll move the team to Gary, Indiana and change the name (the Gary Gastropods?), with a new logo, new colors (how about puce and chartreuse? They even rhyme!), tax-payer-financed stadium, luxury boxes, corporate sponsorships... and the trades! Free agency! And of course, a .5% sales tax hike will be necessary. Seat licenses! Merchandise! I can hardly wait!

poodledoc said...

I knew you were the man to help me build a dynasty....

Ed said...

Or maybe Hawaii. They don't have a team there, yet. We'll have to change the name to one of those trendy names that make you go "huh?" How about the Hawaii Lava? And plastic beer cups shaped like pineapples. Tiki huts for the dugouts. Major League Baseball is sorely lacking in the cheerleader department, too. I can see cheerleaders in mini grass skirts, nothing above the waste but one of those flower necklaces (a lei?) strategically glued down so they don't become indecent while jumping around (like Brooke Shields' hair in "Blue Lagoon.") After all, this is family entertainment.

poodledoc said...

I like the Hawaii idea. I was thinking the Maui Monsters or the Honolulu Hammers. The drink idea is good, too. I don't think the cheerleaders are necessary. Perhaps people dressed as pineapples and coconuts, having a race. This would be sort of like the brat and sausage race at the Brewers park....

Ed, you seem to have a natural flair for these kind of things. Have you ever thought of becoming a sporting promoter guru?