Saturday, July 14, 2007

Bubbling Potato Abundance

This morning I was out at Zephyr Farm, an organic farm coop that I have enjoyed working with for many years. Today was, among other things, potato harvest. I got to drive the tractor pulling the ancient, rusted but very effective potato digger thing behind, while John and his oldest daughter, Skye did all the hard work of unclogging the potato digger. The machine works like a giant shovel which digs into the ground UNDER the taters, pushing them to the surface but first they must travel on the back part of the potato digger which is a large conveyor belt that transports the spuds up and up while the soil gets shaken off, then drops them into the soft bed of soil behind. Its like they bubble up out of the ground. I can look back over the row and see them, hundreds of red or yellow potatoes, like I'm laying eggs. I took home over 20 pounds. Now some of them are here with me tonight, bubbling in some water. Yum! What abundance and richness. I feel very rich tonight, in spite of my student loan balance! And the best thing is, I can give them away to my friends! Share the wealth!

3 comments:

Ed said...

Great name for a band: Bubbling Potato Abundance!

Suzy said...

Thank you for sharing some of that wealth! I'm looking forward to some abundant potatoes bubbling in my own pot this evening.

poodledoc said...

Yes, the farm provides an abundance of possible band names:

The Garlic Bunch, The Sweet Corns, Basil and the Pesto, The Potato Beatles, the list is endless......don't think the Brussel Sprouts would work out too well, thought...