Saturday, September 22, 2007

Quaker Authority?

I’ve been wondering a lot about authority in my Quaker Meeting. Does anyone have the authority other than God? Yes, there are “seasoned” Quakers, but they are not anuthorities. Or are they? Reminds me of a story I heard about a long-time and wonderful member of our Meeting who possessed a great deal of wisdom from his long, rich years of life and from his hard spiritual work of connecting with the Divine. I heard he felt isolated somewhat in his later years because many people in the Meeting were treating him as if he were a saint, or an authority. He understood that he was a human being, with our many frailties, and he mentioned to another Friend that he just wanted to have a human connection and felt isolated. He had been made an authority. A lonely place. Not a place for the humble, perhaps. But our culture wants an authority figure to tell them what is what. Maybe that’s different than a guide? I’m just wondering. I don’t want to be an authority. Or a “weighty” Quaker, although I could stand to lose a few pounds!

No comments: