Monday, August 13, 2007

THE SLEEPOVER

My son reached sleepover age a couple of years ago. For a variety of reasons, mostly because I never had enough space, Poodledoc, Jr's mother had the honor of hosting them at her house. I used to chuckle smuggly to myself about this. TOO BAD I can't host the sleepover, I'd say to her. (I am SO witty) Can I help it if I live in a phone booth?

However, since the recent departure of my roommate, I now have enough space-----for a SLEEPOVER!!!! OH, NO! Two (or more) adolescent boys at MY house. Where will they sleep? Ah, tent in the backyard? (um, don't really have a backyard) Garage? (gotta do something about that wasp problem) Basement storage room (hey, at least it's cool)? Back porch off my room? (NOT!) My son's room? (Bingo!!!) How many adolescent boys can you fit in one small room? A frightening thought. Sort of like how many adolescent boys does it take to change a light bulb: Answer--Only one, but it'll take him just a minute.....

Well, it will be an adventure, I'm sure. I always laugh at those parents out there (and you know who you are!) who expect their child to be functional the day after a sleepover. I'm not one of THOSE parents!!! But I do know this, I won't be functional. Good NIGHT, boys......

5 comments:

Ed said...

Try having eight elementary school girls sleeping in your living room, then talk to me about being functional. It's like being struck in the head rapidly and repeatedly by thousands of tiny hammers.

poodledoc said...

But you SURVIVED! And it probably made you a better father, right? And the girls all had milk and cookies and went to sleep promptly at 11pm, right?

Ed said...

Right!

Suzy said...

Wait, wait, wait ... I have to ratchet up the ante several notches.
Eight elementary school girls in the dollhouse-sized living room, making Sock Monkeys! (Who'd have thought that ten year olds didn't know how to thread needles or tie knots? Who thought that was a good idea anyway? Um ... excuse me. I have to go and er, spend more time with my family. Yes, that's it. My family needs me. Bye. It's been nice.)

poodledoc said...

Sock monkeys, eh? I like the idea. Don't know if they'd go for it, though. Probably, they'd rather play with matches or run with scissors.